La Retraite’s long standing legacy of academic excellence continues!
Once again, we celebrated the successes and outstanding achievements of GCSE and Sixth Form cohort. Despite another difficult year for students, the percentage of students achieving the top grades remains impressive and are a testament to students' hard work, adaptability and resilience, alongside staff’s determination and support.
At the La Retraite 6, nearly 70% of A Level students achieved A*-B grades; and 70% of students studying vocational subjects attained Distinction*.
Much of our Year 11 cohort are looking forward to returning in September to commence the next phase of their education at the La Retraite 6, one of the first centres in the country to pioneer T Level education alongside A Levels and Cambridge Technicals.
Highlights of the 2021 examinations include:
- 68% of students achieved five grades Level 5+ including English and Maths, an increase of six percentage points on 2020 results
- 85% of students achieved Level 5+ in English
- 68% of students achieved Level 5+ in Maths
- 81% of students achieved Level 4+ in one Science; 40% in all three Sciences
- Over half (52%) of EBacc students achieved Level 4+ in English
- 61% of students studying a language attained Level 4+
- Attainment8 increases from 54.96 to 58.75 in 2021.
In addition to an overall trend of improvement, there have been some outstanding individual performances:
- Glenda achieved 9 Grade 9s in Maths, English Literature, Triple Science, RE, History and Art, alongside a Grade 8 in Spanish, placing her as La Retraite’s highest achiever, this year.
- Soliyana is delighted to have attained an exceptional 8 Grade 9s, a Grade 8 and Grade 6 in English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, RE, Sociology, English Literature and French.
- Aferata achieved an impressive portfolio of 7 Grade 9s and 2 Grade 8s in Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, RE, Textiles, English Literature and Language.
- Nanette celebrates attaining 6 Grade 9s in Biology, History, Maths, English and RE, 3 Grade 8s in Chemistry, Physics and Drama alongside a Grade 7 in Spanish.
Head of Year 11, Ms Ferreira, states:
Well done to all of our GCSE students. They deserve every success they have achieved and should be delighted of the opportunities they have secured for the future. Throughout the last two academic years, students have displayed resilience and incredible work ethic, and all of us at La Retraite are incredibly proud of them.
Headteacher, Dominic Malins commented:
Congratulations to the class of 2021, securing outstanding results and rising to the challenge under the most unprecedented circumstances. I would like to commend them for their hard work and extend a thank you to our staff for their endless support and dedication to our students. I am sure that with these successful foundations built, students will continue to flourish. I look forward to welcoming them back in September to the sixth form, or as part of our alumni: the La Retraite Legacy.
Director of Sixth Form Ruth Coyle commented:
All of us at the La Retraite 6 are incredibly proud of students’ achievements today. Not only have they come so far throughout a difficult year, but they have continued to display their passion for chosen subjects and determination in everything that we do. It is our promise to students to provide them with many opportunities to explore their career aspirations for the future and support them every step of the way, and I congratulate every single one of them. I wish them the very best of luck and hope to welcome you back to inspire the next generation of La Retraite 6 students, soon!
To view details on the school's performance in 2019 on the Department for Education website, please click here.